A feature article in the Mornington Peninsula magazine
The Mornington Peninsula magazine is a free monthly lifestyle magazine for residents of the Mornington Peninsula. It covers a range of local stories, news articles and images from around the region.
SG Coatings and our team of female painters were recently featured in the Mornington Peninsula magazine. The article was on the current state of the construction industry, and the importance of backing small businesses. Over the course of the last three years, many Australians found themselves in lockdown or isolation. This left many people making money but not being able to go out and spend it. As a result, this caused many people to save their money. With travel restricted, many chose to spend their money on home renovations instead of holidays. This caused a major boom in the construction industry. However, more recently the industry has also been hit with significant setbacks, mainly as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Construction businesses have faced labour and material shortages, rising labour costs and increased material costs. Sadly, for many high-volume builders, their businesses may not survive as the workloads decrease.
With many large-scale trade businesses beginning to exit the industry, now is the time to work with local, independent construction companies. There are thousands of reputable, experienced and independent tradies working across the Mornington Peninsula. All of these tradies are capable of producing high-quality work at an affordable price. When you support local, you’re paying for a child’s dance lessons, or a family’s weekly food shop. Put the power back into the community and support local!
If you’re still hesitant to reach out to a local business, there are a number of ways to make sure that you’re protected.
- Ensure that your chosen tradespeople are fully licensed before they begin any work. This way you can be sure that you’re protected under insurance if anything does go wrong.
- Never pay for your work up front. Instead, pay in intervals as the work progresses. This ensures that you’re not handing over your money without seeing the quality of the work. A good tradie will be happy to take multiple payments along the way. It will allow them to demonstrate their ability and ensure that you’re happy with the job.
- Check to see if the business has a website that can add some credibility to their business. You may be able to view some of their previous work. This can give you an idea of their standards, and the type and size of the jobs they have previously completed.
- You can also check to see if there are any reviews or testimonies written online, to see what other people thought of their work. This can give you a good indication of whether you want to work with the businesses or not.
- Choose a small business that is community minded. Selecting a local business helps to support local families and reduce the power of monopolies. As the industry continues to face issues, supporting small businesses is essential in supporting the community.
- Finally, it’s never a good idea to select your tradie based off of the lowest price. If something is cheap, there is likely a reason for it. You could be supplied with poor quality materials, and the work may be sub-par. Make sure to consider all of the relevant factors when you determine which quote to choose.
The current state of the construction industry
Whilst there are still numerous supply chain and labour issues still unresolved in the construction industry, there are many small businesses that are adjusting to the current environment. Smaller supply chains means that it’s easier for some small businesses to remain profitable. This is providing that we step up as a community to support our local businesses.
“The building industry is extremely resilient, and we have learned to adapt. For us it’s business as usual, continuing to deliver the reliable service our clients deserve for many years to come.” – Sophie Grover, owner of SG Coatings.
To learn more about Mornington Peninsula magazine and the content they produce, you can visit their website here. If you’re looking to get yourself a copy of the magazine, you can find local free pick-up locations near you by clicking here.
The female painters on the Mornington Peninsula
We’re a local team of female house painters on the Mornington Peninsula, servicing clients with exterior and interior painting in Mornington and the surrounding suburbs. Our team of professionals are equipped to produce high-quality paint jobs and unmatched customer service to all of our clients. As some of the most well-respected house painters on the Mornington Peninsula, the SG Coatings team will ensure that your interior or exterior paint job is completed to the highest standard. We are also available to assist you with any advice on styling and colours to ensure that the colours you choose will match your home perfectly. If you would like to book a free design consultation and/or free painting quote with our painters in Mornington, please contact us here.