Painting Careers – What you need to know if you are looking for job as a painter
There are so many tremendous opportunities for men and women interested in a job as a painter. Entering the painting trade is a wonderful career choice for a range of reasons, and if you are committed you can learn the skills very quickly. If you are looking for a painting career, read on for what you must know to become a painter.
What is the main role of a painter?
Professional painters are involved in decorating the inside and outside of commercial buildings, infrastructure and residential homes. There are a range of segments, from standard repaints and colour matching, to a range of decorative art and restoration, including heritage painting.
What are the benefits of starting a painting career?
- Work Life Balance: Painters generally have favourable working hours. At SG Coatings we usually work from 7am-3pm Monday to Friday, leaving plenty of time for work/life balance.
- Experience Beautiful Architecture and Views: Being a painting company that specialises in coastal properties on the Mornington Peninsula, the magnificent homes and sweeping ocean views are definitely better than most jobs.
- The Construction Industry is Booming: There is plenty of work in the construction sector in Melbourne and the Mornington Peninsula at the moment so you would be learning skills that are in strong demand. The construction sector is set to continue to grow and stabilise in the coming years.
- Every day is something new: No need for the boring 9-5 standard office job anymore. Enjoy different projects, different challenges and different heights each week so you can avoid losing your drive and motivation.
- See immediate progress: Watching paint dry is not as dull as it seems! It can be very rewarding to watch the progress of your project at the end of each day! If you are someone who is proud of seeing your achievements come to life, this could be a wonderful career for you.
- Painting is a trade career that both women and men can do: Sadly less than 2% of the construction industry is made up of female tradies. Often women may not consider a trade for their careers, but there are many benefits of becoming a female painter.
What skills do you need to work as professional painter?
- Strong vision
- A good eye for detail
- The ability to follow instructions
- Enjoy working at heights
- Great balance
- Basic understanding of mathematics
- Drivers license
How do you become a painter?
To start a job as a painter you should complete a Certificate III in Painting and Decorating (CPC30611) at a local TAFE. This certificate may also form part of an apprenticeship.
You will also be required to obtain a White Card so you can work on a construction site. If you are interested in a job as a painter, please contact us today to learn more.
What’s it like to work as a painter at SG Coatings?
We interviewed some of the staff at SG Coatings to find out a little more about their experiences working as a qualified painter. Here’s what they had to say…
“What are your daily duties as a painter?”
Damian: “A broad range of tasks – no two days are the same. It depends on the client’s requirements, location, materials, weather, team etc”
Ruby: “Preparation, painting, cleaning up etc. I’m a second year apprentice painter so I am currently learning new tasks like spraying as well!”
Jess: “People underestimate how much prep-work we do. The better your preparation, the better the job comes up! This includes covering and protecting surfaces, filling cracks, smoothing surfaces etc. Of course we paint, but we also do a lot of prep to make the finish perfect!”
“What is your best advice to up and coming painters?”
Ruby: “Just go for it! I knew other painters and thought it looked fun, so I gave it a go. I have honestly never looked back and am so happy to have found a job that makes me happy”
Damian: “Take your time and be proud of your work. It’s not all about speed, but quality work will get you there every time. Listen to your clients and let your team support you.”
Jess: “Do your research and find a company that really speaks to you. You will be working with these people 40 hours a week so it is important that you find a good fit. I’m lucky I finally found a company that is like a family.”
“What do you love about your job as a painter?”
Damian: “Probably traveling to different job sites and checking out the various designs. Most of our jobs have awesome views overlooking the beaches on the Mornington Peninsula which is also inspiring to work with every day. Also seeing old dishevelled homes and buildings transform is so rewarding.”
Jess: “I love the large exterior jobs with beautiful colour choices. Spending my days outside in the nice weather is a bonus. When the weather isn’t as good we focus on interiors so there is always something to do.”
Ruby: “It’s fun! I don’t like the idea of sitting in an office, and the team and boss are so easy to work with. I love painting the interiors of the beautiful coastal houses.”
What’s the wrap up on painting careers?
Painting jobs come with a range of pros such as great work/life balance, longevity, variety and great views!
If you are interested in applying for a job as a painter with an inclusive, professional painting company located on the Mornington Peninsula, please contact us today! We are always looking for reliable, motivated painters and apprentices to add to our valued team.